Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tremendous Tuesday: Adri Martin: a Tribute Written by a Near-Stranger

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Adri-Martin/414639905247514?hc
Today's post is tremendously sad.

I'm 2 days late, but I still wanted to write something in honour of Adri Martin, the girl I only had the pleasure of meeting once, though the memory of her and her tragic passing has haunted me for a year and 2 days now.

April 28th, 2012: I went to a birthday party for one of my best friends. Adri was there, and we were introduced. She was the life of the party! I remember thinking that we'd be friends if I lived closer.



Her personality lit up the room. She was telling stories - I believe that one of them was the tale behind why part of her hair was shaved off (the reason she was wearing a touque that night) - and I couldn't stop laughing.

She was a typical-seeming teenage girl with her cell phone by her side and tasteful but striking makeup in place.

I didn't know her at all, but she seemed to be SO happy, with a wonderful life and lots of friends.

May 26th, 2012: Adri took her own life.

When I found out, it had already been a few days. I had just checked Facebook briefly after being forced to leave the hospital where my boyfriend was (I'll write about that some other time) to get some rest, and I saw the memorial page for her.

I was shocked. Horrified. Grief-stricken. Guilt-ridden because I hardly knew her, yet I was devastated.

This is just a sick joke. No no no NO.

But it wasn't. Adri was gone.

The beautiful girl that I had met only the month before.

The beautiful girl with SO much potential, and her whole life ahead of her.

Ever since that horrible day, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I think about her often. Sometimes, I still cry. And I still can't rid myself of the guilty feeling deep in my gut because I feel like it shouldn't be affecting me like this, since I hardly knew her.

But it is. When a death like hers is so tragic and senseless, it really sticks with you.

I don't know why she did it. I won't speculate, because that isn't fair to anyone, especially when it's from a pure stranger.

All I'll say is that there needs to be more awareness for mental health issues. It's such a "taboo" subject to most people, yet we can talk about other agressive and devastating illnesses like cancer and AIDS.

This needs to change. Sure, I missed the official Canadian Mental Health Awareness Week (May 6th-12th), but I don't give a damn. This needs to be screamed from the rooftops on as many days throughout the year as possible.

If you're feeling alone and depressed, PLEASE talk to someone. Leaving this world is never the way.

You are beautiful, wonderful, and WORTH IT. If there are people in your life making you feel otherwise, KICK THEM OUT OF YOUR LIFE.

Please talk to somebody if you ever get even remotely close to making the devastating decision that Adri made. That is NOT to blame Adri, though; when you're that depressed, you aren't thinking clearly. It really DOES seem like the only way out. It really DOES seem like you have no friends and that life is pointless.

But it isn't. Please always remember that, and please always live your life to show other people that, too.

-Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Missing her more than ever rip Adri♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...